The Italian lake District by Motorhome
Motorhome Rental Italy – Lake Como, Lake Maggiore , Lake Garda
Motorhome travel in Italy
The Italian lake District in a Motorhome. Rent a motorhome in Italy. The majesty of the surrounding Italian Alps, noble villas and breathtaking views, experience Italy’s three magnificent lakes, Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and Lake Garda, which since past times attract royalty, artists and poets.
The Italian lake District. Lake Como (Lago di Como also called Lario) – You won’t find a more beautiful place than Lake Como, Villas, Hiking, Shopping.
Taking the boat around Lake Como, stopping at small towns and villages like Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio and the larger city of Como is one thing I look forward to every time I visit Italy. The mountains surrounding the lake go right down to the water’s edge (or at least they look like they do). Hiking trails are popular and you see bikers everywhere though I cannot imagine biking up and down the steep hills and narrow roads. If the strain of biking didn’t get you, the wild drivers would.
• Lake Como has a number of villas that are open to the public including Villa d’Este in Cernobbio, Villa Carlotta in Tremezo with its beautiful gardens and Villa del Balbianello seen in the latest Star Wars movies.
• Como is a major producer of silk and all the stores around the lake carry beautiful silk products.
• Malpensa Airport in Milan is 40 miles away
• Avoid visiting in July and August especially weekends. Its close proximity to Milan means it can get crowded. Late spring and early fall are the best times to visit – the boats still run on a regular schedule and the weather is perfect.
The Italian lake District. Lake Garda (Lago di Garda) – Beaches, Water Slides and Amusement Parks. Lake Garda is the most family friendly of the three lakes. Here you have a number of amusement parks including:
Gardaland, a huge family friendly park with rides and attractions for kids of all ages. Gardaland also has shows featuring acrobats and dolphins. The acrobats and dolphins do not perform together –seeing that might make it worth the trip. • Caneva World has both a movie studio park and a water park, the Aqua Paradise Park. You can buy a ticket to visit one park or a combination ticket that gets you in both parks. The movie park can’t compete with those found in the states. As long as you lower your expectations you won’t be disappointed. Aqua Paradise Park has white sandy beaches, water slides and water based rides.
• All of the parks are closed in the winter. The water parks are open for the months of June, July and August
• Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy and is only 18.5 miles (30 km) from Verona, 68 miles (110 km) from Milan and 81 miles (130 km) from Venice making it easy to get to.
• There are train stations in Desenzano and Peschiera del Garda in the south.
• You can get around Lake Garda by a number of boats including car ferries
The Italian lake District. Lake Maggiore (Lago Maggiore) – Islands, an Ancient Stone Village, Arturo Toscanini and a little bit of Switzerland. Isola Bella (Beautiful Island) is known for the baroque palace located on the island and its beautiful gardens
• Isola Pescatori (Fishermen’s Island) is known for its fishing
• Isola Madre (Mother Island) is known for its gardens
• Although “maggiore” means greater it is not the largest lake in Italy, that title belongs to Lake Garda
• The western shore of Lake Maggiore is in Piedmont, the eastern in Lombardy and the northern tip of the lake is in Switzerland
• The western shore has more activities while the eastern shore is quieter
• Verbania was one of the favorite summer vacation places of Arturo Toscanini, the great Italian orchestra director
• Stresa gained popularity in the late 18th and early 19th century and has a beautiful lake-side promenade that is lined with large villas. You can reach the Borromean Islands from the jetty in Piazza Marconi. Campsites in Italy
Find the best prices for motorhome rental in Italy. Reliable information about motorhome hire or campervan hire holidays in Italy. Trusted by 1300,000+ customers.
One of the world’s leading motorhome, campervan and RV rental booking specialists. Each year we get thousands of people hitting the road and their extensive network of suppliers means we have the buying power to ensure the best rental rates on a comprehensive range of quality motorhomes.