Travel with pets in Europe

Motorhome travel with dogs and cats in Europe

European Pet Passport

As an EU national, you can freely travel in a motorhome or car with your cat, dog or ferret if it has a European pet passport. This passport is available from any authorised veterinarian and must contain details of a valid anti-rabies vaccination.

European Pet Passport
European Pet Passport

For movement between EU countries or from non-EU countries vaccination against rabies documented in the pet passport or the animal health certificate is the sole requirement for dogs, cats and ferrets to travel across EU borders, with certain exceptions.

If you take an animal into the United Kingdom, it must be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus as follows
• the treatment shall be administered by a veterinarian within a period of not more than 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled entry into Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom;
• the treatment shall be certified by the administering veterinarian in the relevant section of the passport.

Your animal will require an electronic microchip or a readable tattoo that has been applied before 3 July 2011 with the same code as the one documented in the passport. European Pet Passport There are currently 28 countries in Europe that are part of the EU. They are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

The great thing with traveling with your dog in the European Union is that rules are nearly the same for every country. There’s no need to look for different rules as all rules can be found on this single official page: